Skip to main content

About Life With Ziggy and Meet the Author...

About Life With Ziggy...

Life with Ziggy is a memoir by Justin Barrow. This debut work is a brutally honest and remarkably written memoir about his overwhelming bouts with severe clinical depression and suicidal ideation. Intensely poignant, deeply inspiring, and simply amazing, Life With Ziggy captures the grave story of a young man, overwhelmed and overcome by the insidiousness of depression, as he tries desperately to survive the disease that consumes his soul. 

When hope appears to be lost, he adopts a malnourished, abused, and forgotten Pit Bull/Basenji mix. The dog's fragile outward state is matched by Barrow's equally fragile inward state. The dog, which was set to be euthanized hours later, is rescued in his final moments with the small glimmer of hope that he will, in turn, rescues his new master in his final moments.

What transpires is a true tale of friendship and love. Humor and chaos commence as an incredibly unique bond is forged between boy and dog. The special bond alters the paths of their troubled lives. The intersection that was destined to occur, ends up saving one life, while sacrificing another. Life With Ziggy takes us deeply into the shadows so we can be reminded of the beauty of the light.

Meet the Author...

Justin Barrow, Jammer to his family and friends, once tip-toed on the fringe of ending his own life while struggling with severe cases of depression and suicidal ideation. Reflecting back on his experiences, he realized that a book would not only be therapeutic, but that it would have the potential to help others overcome the disease and the stigmas that are attached to it. As a result, Justin Barrow debuts his first book, Life With Ziggy: A Boy, A Dog, & A Life Saved. A native Nevadan and graduate from the University of Nevada Las Vegas, Justin currently resides in rural Nevada where he trains staff to mentor troubled youth as a training officer. He is a loving husband, father of twins, proud uncle, dog lover, fan of the Boston Red Sox, sports enthusiast, and blogger.

Justin's second book, A Game to Remember, is in progress. The story follows the Fenton family as they use baseball to fight the effects of terminal cancer and Alzheimer's disease on their family.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Survivor of Attempted Suicide: My Experience with "13 Reasons Why"

Survivor of Attempted Suicide: My Experience with  13 Reasons Why *Contains graphic content, possible triggers, and possible spoilers for 13 Reasons Why .* It’s 2:34 a.m. I’m exhausted. I’m nauseous. I can’t sleep. I won’t sleep. I’ve been here before, hundreds of times. Those times were a lifetime ago; weren’t they? I’m past this; aren’t I? That’s episodes past. Episodes consumed by painful battles in the night; the moon, the lonely darkness, the emptiness, the tears, the razor blades, the release, the blood, the scars, the pills, the bleach: my attempt at suicide.   It’s true… I attempted suicide. I failed. For months, I contemplated trying again. I didn’t. I wouldn’t. I couldn’t muster that level of courage ever again. The insane courage it took that night, I could never collect it again. I’m grateful for that. If you haven’t ever reached that place, never had that moment, you are lucky. Without reaching that place, that moment, it is impossible for you to

Sundays With Jamal (Excerpt Included)

My second book, Sundays With Jamal , is in the works. If you read my first book, Life With Ziggy , then you were introduced, on a very basic level, to Jamal. Jamal was a very special boy, and my little brother. For six months, I spent my Sundays with him; playing Playstation, walking through the park, watching basketball, drawing, and reading The Hobbit . Unfortunately, those Sundays ended much sooner than either of us wanted to accept. Jamal bravely fought Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia; a type of leukemia that is extremely rare in children. Sundays With Jamal is a memoir capturing the final six months of his life, and some of the most important months of mine. He was an angel, beyond his years, with wisdom that forever changed my life. Below is a portion of my unnamed and unedited first chapter of Sundays With Jamal. It is a more descriptive, introductory section, so I would love to hear your thoughts. Coming soon to Amazon, Sundays With Jamal , in both paperback and on Kindle. I